Author Topic: Evarcha falcata vs. Linyphiidae  (Read 3310 times)

Offline Ari Kainelainen

• Æresmedlem
Evarcha falcata vs. Linyphiidae
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »
Hallo!
I shot on video this interedsting moment the day before yesterday. Behavior of this jumping spider interesting for me. It jumped on the web of linyphiidae, but this small spider run away from web, and Evarcha reminded hungry  :). Fortunately (for linyphiidae), it already did not succeed leave signal thread of web, in other case Evarcha could attacked it in the second times, because it long waited in this place and not runing away.
http://youtu.be/HUVE7_hyLlQ
I saw photo where Salticidae eat spider on his web, but anyhow this story was amazing for me.

It looks plaintive without mining:

Offline Glenn H. Morka

• Artskoordinator
  • Gjerstad, Aust-Agder.
    • Edderkoppkroken
Re: Evarcha falcata vs. Linyphiidae
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:53:44 PM »
A fantastic video!!! :D
You were very lucky to get a shot like this of the Salticiid-attac!
Do you want me to put in your video clip here in the forum?

Regards
Glenn
"Sykemeldt"

Offline Magne Farlund

• Artskoordinator
    • Mine edderkopper
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:20:39 AM »
@Ari

Very interesting to watch.

Magne.

Når du går tom for nye biotoptyper å lete i så start på nytt - med andre metoder.

Offline Ari Kainelainen

• Æresmedlem
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »
A fantastic video!!! :D
You were very lucky to get a shot like this of the Salticiid-attac!
Do you want me to put in your video clip here in the forum?

Regards
Glenn
Yes, of course you can put it on forum.
Thanks for comments, unfortunately, it is a not good backgroud. Linyphiidae nit returned on web (I look today)
Linyphiidae looks like o Neriene montana. It is a juvenile, but maybe you can say specie?
I have some interesting video also. Maybe I will posting it on posssibly.

Offline Kjetil Åkra

• Artskoordinator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:54:33 AM »
Wow, that was fascinating! Incredible shot. I´ve never seen anything like this before!

I noticed the Evarcha was quick to get off the linyphiid´s web after the failed attack. Being a two-clawed spider it probably can´t walk on the web or only with difficulty.

This puts a discovery I made last fall into a new perspective. On a coastal siland here in North Norway I found the empty and dried-out body of an Evarcha (probably falcata) in a small orb-weaver´s web. I assumed the that the salticid had been accidently caught in the web and then killed by the orb-weaver (which I could not see or find). However, the fact that it was bascially intact probably dicounts this interpretation and you video leads me to speculate that perhaps my Evarcha also tried a "web-ambush" on the web@s inhabitant but failed and got caught in the web itself? Very interesting all the same.

Kjetil
Antall arter i Norge: 624!

Siste: Bjarte Aadland slo til med ett overraskende funn av Robertus ungulatus (Theriididae) på Rognabekken myrområde på Stord i november 2012.

Vårt mål: 650 arter! (26 to go!)

Offline Ari Kainelainen

• Æresmedlem
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:47:42 PM »
Thanks, it is intersting observation!
In this case, I think, it was unlikely, because linyphiid was very small and web were thin.

I think, that this Evarcha wasn't been able to caught linyphiid, because it placed on the other side of web. In my opinion, it is difficult to grabbed linyphiid under his web. In this spring I saw how Evarcha eaten linyphiid, but i think it was caught not on the web.